Some facts about me which may or may not be relevant:
- – I’m a woman in my early 40s.
- – I have a family history of Type 2 diabetes on both sides of my family. I did not know that I had a 40% chance of developing the disease if my father had it.
- – I have been a vegetarian for 30+ years, sometimes vegan. My diet, even as a child, was focused on whole foods and plants. I have never eaten much processed food. I grow and forage my own food. I buy direct from farms. The junk food I ate was artisanal or close to the source i.e. eclairs from a local bakery, ice cream from a farm.
- – I am a serious amateur bread baker. I have volunteered and attended the Kneading Conference, belonged to the Bread Bakers Guild of America, and built a wood fired oven in my backyard. I am passionate about pizza.
- – I have been 20-50 lbs overweight for about ten years. I ballooned to 170 in 2018, lost about 15 lbs in 2020, and have lost another 15 in the past three months.
- – The diabetes diagnosis felt like it came out of nowhere. I skipped my annual physical last year because of Covid.
- – My ALT/AST numbers had been on the high side of normal for years. I now wonder if this was an early warning sign of things to come.